Shop by Category | Brand | Order Tracking | Customer Care | Contact Us | Wishlist | My Account |
All
  • All Departments
  • Digital Download
Cart
My Drafts
General Topics
  Tech News
  What's New
  NCIX.com Q&A
  Important Notices
  General Discussions
  Suggestions/Feedback
  Site Bug Reports
  PC Builder Workshop
  NCIX Gaming Community
  NCIX Tech Tips
  Linus Tech Tips
  NCIX Esther
  Manufacturer Support
  CPU Discussions
  Video Cards
  Power Supplies
  Folding @ Home
  Moderated
  Off Topic
  Overclocking
  Product Requests
  PC Modding
Software Topics
  Operating Systems
  Linux
  Freeware/Shareware
  Open Source Projects
  Driver Updates
Broadband Topics
  Shaw Cable
  Telus ADSL
  Speed Test Reports
FAQs
  NCIX FAQs
  Hardware FAQs
  Overclocking FAQs
  Other FAQs
  Software FAQs
Top Categories
  Blu-Ray Drives
  Bundle Deals
  Camcorders
  CD & DVD Drives
  Chromebook
  Computer Cases
  CPU Heatsinks
  DDR2 Desktop Memory
  DDR3 Desktop Memory
  Digital Cameras
  External Hard Drives
  Fans & Cooling
  Hard Drives
  HTPC Accessories
  Inkjet Printers
  Internet Routers
  Keyboards
  Laser Printers
  LCD Monitors
  Mice & Pointing Devices
  Mobile Phones
  Modding
  Motherboards
  Multi-Function Printers
  Network Adapters
  Network Storage NAS
  Network Switches
  PC Games
  Power Supplies
  Processors (CPUs)
  PS3 Games
  Scanners
  SD Secure Digital
  Solid State Drives - SSD
  Speakers & Audio
  UPS/Power Management
  USB Flash Drives
  Video Cards
  Water Cooling
  Webcams
  Wireless Accessories
  XBox 360

LATEST TOPICS |  FORUMS » SHAW CABLE » NEW BANDWIDTH CAPS...
Subject: New bandwidth caps
Share this:  
Author Date Posted Tools
GurbZ Jun 07, 2011 03:12 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

So I was checking my Internet usage today, and what do I see?
250 GB cap instead of 100 GB. Seems like Shaw is keeping word and doing it in the time period they stated.

Topic URL: http://forums.ncix.com/forums/topic.php?id=2367333

Tip Posting | My Postings (65) | My Reviews (0) | View Source
Saberon Jun 07, 2011 03:31 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

BB50/BB100 also launched today, if you stay with Legacy plans you get around 3-4x upped caps.

Warp/Nitro also get upped caps but at this point you'd be quite foolish to stay on Warp/Nitro as the BB packages are much cheaper and offer higher speeds/more caps. (As of June 7)

This message was modified by the poster at 06 07, 2011 03:34 PM

Tip Posting | My Postings (11890) | My Reviews (194) | View Source
SouVerainiste Jun 07, 2011 03:34 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

You guys are really lucky to have such plans in west Canada srsly. I'm paying 75$ a month for a 120gb cap +2$ for each additionnal gb or something, on a 30mb /3mb up connection. I hate Videotron so bad.

Tip Posting | My Postings (276) | My Reviews (25) | View Source
Saberon Jun 07, 2011 03:35 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Yeah I'm still quite in shock over the new pricing, a major turnaround from the previous UBB "scandal".

This message was modified by the poster at 06 07, 2011 03:36 PM

hung_h Jun 07, 2011 03:37 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

how do you check this bandwidth cap with shaw??? I mean how do you check your usage?

This message was modified by the poster at 06 07, 2011 03:38 PM

Tip Posting | My Postings (4314) | My Reviews (16) | View Source
[bernZ] Jun 07, 2011 03:38 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

secure.shaw.ca -> Internet Options -> Usage (or similar)

Tip Posting | My Postings (6133) | My Reviews (13) | View Source
Saberon Jun 07, 2011 03:39 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

And it uses fair usage policy....which in TLDR terms is

Unless you consistently go grossly over your 250GB cap for months on end you won't hear a peep from them, and even then you may never hear.

Somebody69 Jun 07, 2011 03:41 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Seems like a win all around for shaw customers. Higher caps, better speeds for more or less the same price, and clearly defined "penalties" for overusage. Of course there is one obvious catch: no line upgrades. Giving 50 and 100 mb for the price of 15 and 25 just months ago is going to lead to problems. I've always enjoyed being able to max my downstream and upstream even at peak hours - that is, until recently. Since the free upgrade to 25/2.5, I've never exceeded 15/2 even at 3 am on speedtests. Hopefully we will not see congestion problems in the future, and Shaw doesn't slip back into the archaic thinking that brought forth UBB.

Edit:
Finally can see my usage. Not as bad as I thought; was only over the 100gb cap 3 months since November.

This message was modified by the poster at 06 07, 2011 03:45 PM

Tip Posting | My Postings (2604) | My Reviews (44) | View Source
Saberon Jun 07, 2011 03:43 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I find that speed tests aren't always all that accurate. I'd much rather download something from Nvidia/Ati/Apple at different times in the day. I have the 25/2.5 and speed tests rarely show over 9 megabits, but I get around 24 megabits from downloading from the mentioned sites. Have you tried calling Shaw to re provision your modem just in case the new speed didn't catch on?

This message was modified by the poster at 06 07, 2011 03:48 PM

Somebody69 Jun 07, 2011 03:48 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

My max achieved is ~2300 kilobytes down in Utrnt. Seen about 2 megabytes down from Megashares premium. Similar speeds from nVidia and Apple. Max upload is around 240 kilobytes in Utrnt and Filezilla. I used to have about 1900 down and 115 kilobytes up max, so it definitely caught on. I had the new speeds without rebooting the modem, but have since rebooted it and changed my MAC address to no avail.

The new speed caught on, it's just not working. Probably just going to change the TV/Inet/phone packaging around, so I'll see then if there's anything to do about the speed.

This message was modified by the poster at 06 07, 2011 03:49 PM

Dot Merix Jun 07, 2011 03:51 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

On my warp speed (essentially Broadband 50) I also can't get super high on Utrnt.. I have got high download speed (maxing it out) on usenet.. Don't think I really have from a company direct (asides from Nvidia so far).

Tip Posting | My Postings (1467) | My Reviews (22) | View Source
Somebody69 Jun 07, 2011 03:52 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Utrnt actually gives me the fastest, most consistent speeds. Then again I use mostly private trackers. I've always been happy with shaw's performance with trnts - it's as fast if not faster than multithreaded http downloads from fast servers.

Greg * NCIX.com Jun 07, 2011 04:01 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Not entirely true. They're making room on the pipe by phasing out more analog channels. Channels 29-58 are moving to all-digital, freeing up much of that spectrum for broadband usage.

Expect it to be a slow upgrade. There are a lot of households Shaw will have to visit to install set top boxes for.

Tip Posting | My Postings (23495) | My Reviews (7) | My Profile | View Source
Saberon Jun 07, 2011 04:04 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

My area is supposedly being upgraded to DOCSIS 3 by June 30th, I'm hoping that by some rare and bizarre luck that it's also the the first area to make it to phase 2.

Dot Merix Jun 07, 2011 04:15 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I believe they said the Analog tiers to digital conversion will be done by October 2012.

TheMachine247 Jun 07, 2011 05:14 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

When you subscribe to one of our Broadband packages, you will be opting into the Bump-Up Program.

This means that if you exceed your package’s included data, you will automatically be bumped up to the next level of Broadband Internet package for the remainder of your billing cycle. You’ll receive the higher speeds and data and will be charged the difference between package pricing. Once your new billing cycle begins, you will return to your original Internet package and your data will be reset to zero.

The first time your included data is exceeded, you will receive one month's grace and won't be bumped up to the next tier.

The Bump-Up Program will take effect February 2012.

Quoted directly from shaw's website, People should take notice of this if they don't want to have their internet bills skyrocket

This message was modified by the poster at 06 07, 2011 05:18 PM

Tip Posting | My Postings (2886) | My Reviews (30) | View Source
Stanley. Jun 07, 2011 05:31 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

This is by far the best implementation of UBB I could have asked for.

Tip Posting | My Postings (1563) | My Reviews (51) | View Source
Dot Merix Jun 07, 2011 07:43 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Don't worry too much about it. What will happen up until 2012 is our regular AUP. If you go over your limits frequently you may receive a call from a representative to go over a better internet package to suit your bandwidth caps. Shaw will not be charging any money for usage over what's included..

Obviously if the customer disagrees with wanting to upgrade to a package that has more bandwidth on their over usage there would likely be a suspension of some sort. I don't work on that team so I'm not sure how that part works, sorry!

This message was modified by the poster at 06 07, 2011 07:44 PM

Call Queue
Now Serving
Closed
Avg. Response Time
Closed
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

Recent Experts
1. Saberon (14655)
2. Spork™ (13693)
3. DJZ (6923)
4. JohnyBoy (4210)
5. Rebecca_M (259)
All Time Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)

Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Order Status
RMAs (Merchandise returns)
F.A.Q.
Contact Us / Store Locator
Careers
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller Program
VIP Memberships
Advantage Membership
Affiliate Program
Super Shipping Saver Club
Express Coverage
Express RMA
Express Shipping Service
Express Exchange and Care Coverage
Gift Cards & Balance Checker
NCIX Newsletters
NCIX Forums
Folding @ Home Team
The Banner Vault
International Sites:  Canada
Get the best discount computers online for online computer shopping and discount PC computer components as well as notebook computers, laptops and Canada custom computers for the best deals on computers.
NCIX.com provides Canada the best priced computers in the country for computer components and computer parts and computer accessories with the best online computer store in Canada for your personal and business computer needs.
At NCIX you can build your own computer online as well as search for the cheapest and best video cards, computer processors and CPUs, motherboards computer memory RAM, ssd and hard drives with the fastest shipping in Canada and the US.
So for discount computers online NCIX provides the cheapest digital cameras, printers, motherboards, flash memory, PC speakers and computer electronics with the best Canadian computer and Canadian online computer shopping website in the world.

NCIX.com is powered by Intel® Xeon® Quad Core Processors
Copyright© 2014 NCIX.com/Netlink Computer Inc. All rights reserved. S / Server ID:74 20140801193733  156 ms