Shop by Category | Brand | Order Tracking | Customer Care | Contact Us | Wishlist | My Account |
All
  • All Departments
  • Digital Download
Cart
My Drafts
General Topics
  Tech News
  What's New
  NCIX.com Q&A
  Important Notices
  General Discussions
  Suggestions/Feedback
  Site Bug Reports
  PC Builder Workshop
  NCIX Gaming Community
  NCIX Tech Tips
  Linus Tech Tips
  NCIX Esther
  Manufacturer Support
  CPU Discussions
  Video Cards
  Power Supplies
  Folding @ Home
  Moderated
  Off Topic
  Overclocking
  Product Requests
  PC Modding
Software Topics
  Operating Systems
  Linux
  Freeware/Shareware
  Open Source Projects
  Driver Updates
Broadband Topics
  Shaw Cable
  Telus ADSL
  Speed Test Reports
FAQs
  NCIX FAQs
  Hardware FAQs
  Overclocking FAQs
  Other FAQs
  Software FAQs
Top Categories
  Blu-Ray Drives
  Bundle Deals
  Camcorders
  CD & DVD Drives
  Chromebook
  Computer Cases
  CPU Heatsinks
  DDR2 Desktop Memory
  DDR3 Desktop Memory
  Digital Cameras
  External Hard Drives
  Fans & Cooling
  Hard Drives
  HTPC Accessories
  Inkjet Printers
  Internet Routers
  Keyboards
  Laser Printers
  LCD Monitors
  Mice & Pointing Devices
  Mobile Phones
  Modding
  Motherboards
  Multi-Function Printers
  Network Adapters
  Network Storage NAS
  Network Switches
  PC Games
  PlayStation 3 Games
  Power Supplies
  Processors (CPUs)
  Scanners
  SD Secure Digital
  Solid State Drives - SSD
  Speakers & Audio
  UPS/Power Management
  USB Flash Drives
  Video Cards
  Water Cooling
  Webcams
  Wireless Accessories
  XBox 360

LATEST TOPICS |  FORUMS » LINUX » FAVOURITE DISTRO, AND WHY?...
Subject: RE: Favourite distro, and why?
Share this:  
PREV   |   NEXT   1 2  
Author Date Posted Tools
CyruzDraxs Oct 08, 2009 02:20 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I'm using CentOS on all of my servers except one, which runs Fedora, I have a desktop dual-booting Ubuntu and Windows 7 and I have a netbook running crunchbang.

Tip Posting | My Postings (15) | My Reviews (1) | View Source
apocaly001 Oct 11, 2009 06:26 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I use Opensuse 11.1 . I think it's the most professional Linux distro out there. The only issue is if you don't like KDE, this distro may not be to your liking. I see many more custom builders using linux because of the expensive licensing costs of using Windows. Updating a Motherboard is a big issue with Windows. You have to buy a new OEM copy of Windows, Office etc which is ridiculous IMHO. It almost makes it not worth upgrading your oomputer with these additional add on costs.

Tip Posting | My Postings (9) | My Reviews (1) | View Source
AntiHero Oct 21, 2009 01:12 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I'm liking Ubuntu for its ease of use and vast community. I personally think it's the better of the distros for someone who doesn't want to spend all their time fixing. Not to say that other distros like Fedora or Sabayon are challenges, but some can be more work than others, take openSUSE for example, it is a bit more work, it's a good OS, but it can take more time to get set up right. I like to run Kubuntu as well, or in most cases, run Ubuntu and put KDE 4 on it and switch between GNOME and KDE whenever I feel like a change. It's a simple thing to do really.

I think what i like most is the file library found via Synaptic. I enjoy a nice selection of software to choose from, and better yet that I don't have to do anything but enter in the root password and move on to another task, or leave it if I feel the desire to. I know it sounds lazy, but it is nice to have a stable OS that doesn't need babysitting.

Tip Posting | My Postings (56) | My Reviews (0) | View Source
The_Lensman Oct 29, 2009 09:27 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

One of the nice things about Linux, is that due to the great variety, you can pick a distro that fits your own needs and intuitive aspects. For me, Fedora 11 'Gnome' does the trick. I have been using Linux for a number of years now and tried out many different 'flavors', yet I still find that Fedora has the polish and function that I like. I even tried out Vista and Se7en, only to find them slow and 'kludgy'.

Anyway, each to their own and the important thing is that your OS is stable, secure and fun. Linux does all of that for me.

Tip Posting | My Postings (194) | My Reviews (25) | View Source
James_A Nov 06, 2009 12:24 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I'm a Fedora fan, been on it since core 4. Was pretty disappointed with Fedora 11 though, I only have laptops, and it just didn't take well, and had pretty poor power saving. Even had to write a script just to turn off the LCD, though that may be in part due to some massive hardware failures I was also having on that laptop. I'm not a big fan of Ubuntu, but it is a pretty good distro. I've managed to get just about my whole family switched over to Ubuntu from Windows, but I find it takes away too much of my control of the system, and I don't particularly like how it binds the root control to the user accounts, though it's not such a big deal on single user systems, and can be changed. Pretty much, I like Fedora on my computers, Ubuntu on computers I take care of, and Debian for servers, though it's a bit of a love-hate relationship I have with Debian.

Tip Posting | My Postings (1) | My Reviews (0) | View Source
surfed Nov 15, 2009 11:25 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Chakra linux. Its Arch linux, so a rolling release, with graphical installer and packagemanager, plus kdemod one of the best kde implementations i have seen.

Tip Posting | My Postings (45) | My Reviews (16) | View Source
pillsburied Nov 16, 2009 12:14 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Well, I'm on the Ubuntu deathwagon. Like Whoami, I started in 1995 with Slackware. Then Red Hat, Debian, LFS, NetBSD, OpenBSD, Gentoo, and Ubuntu.

Why Ubuntu? As time passed, the difficulties of configuring and rolling kernels, and dealing with configuration issues that new hardware brings (particularly when the manufacturer does not support it in one's OS, which is usually), required exponentially increasing time to deal with. These days, manual configuration of a kernel can easily take 3-4 hours, with so many new kernel options appearing in every release.

The kernel and the software environment have become so complex that it's almost a full-time job to keep things working, so I decided to leave it to people whose jobs it actually was to do this stuff. The default Ubuntu kernel works with all my hardware except for a GDI printer (no surprise there). I like Gentoo -- it's very well done -- but I do not want to spend half my time configuring and fixing broken packages by hand. Sometimes a guy just wants to use his equipment...

Tip Posting | My Postings (665) | My Reviews (17) | View Source
Jim_A Nov 28, 2009 04:14 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Asking about a favorite distro might be a simple question, but the answer is sure to be less than simple.
I've been using Linux exclusively at home for the last five years. I've probably spent the most amount of time on PCLinuxOS and Mepis -and DD-WRT etc on the router.
I've felt that Linux would be far more popular if more distros had simpler control panel type solutions. Like just about everyone else, though, I've played with other distros and had lots of fun. I can well see how people chose different distros of Linux or a variety of BSD.
I had always planned to try various gateway solutions on old boxes, but a cheap GL router with DD-WRT has been so incredibly stable and effective as a firewall. No old computer is going to match a router in power consumption.
Even with the Linux of choice on the computer, any problems have been directly due to my experimenting. Sometimes I've taken the time to fix the problem - other times, I've just used last week's backup livecd to reinstall - and have worked on while that happened. Otherwise I have to remind myself to us AV on mail in case I forward, and carry on with doing stuff instead of worrying about threats or instability....
I wouldn't dissolve into fits of crying or hysteria if I had to use other distros, but I might if I had to use Windows exclusively. My biggest wish is that the Marvell Sheevaplug would come to market in Canada so that I can have a new power-efficient and cost effective toy.

Tip Posting | My Postings (23) | My Reviews (70) | View Source
Brian_K Dec 23, 2009 11:43 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

32bit Slackware for 10+ years. Like mechanics I compiled the first week of using linux ;)
Slackware has 64bit now too But I have my own 64bit cross compiled from Slackware of course.
cat /etc/blade64-version
Blade64 13.0.0.0.0
gcc: 4.4.2
glibc: 2.10.1
Kernel: 2.6.31.5
Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 e 2.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux
kde: 4.3.85 (aka 4.4 beta2)
mplayer(svn always) if you don't have that ,Then I wont like you ;)
endain firewall for my firewall/router box. I want to use my blade64 but I do enough for now .I might cut it down for firewall/router some day.

Tip Posting | My Postings (18) | My Reviews (0) | View Source
M-X Dec 24, 2009 01:52 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Arch Linux*.
And frak, there is a GNU/Linux nutjob on NCIX?!
*when I'm bored enough to waste time on Linux. :p

This message was modified by the poster at 12 24, 2009 01:53 AM

Tip Posting | My Postings (709) | My Reviews (1) | View Source
Guillaume_C Mar 08, 2010 06:26 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

For servers, I'm using CentOS, which is the open-source edition of RedHat Enterprise server. You get RHEL strengths, without paying licences...
For desktops, i either use ubuntu or opensuse, both of which are very strong desktop platforms. Ubuntu being more strealined and naked, opensuse being more of an all-you-can-eat distro.

Tip Posting | My Postings (7) | My Reviews (3) | View Source
ilya Mar 08, 2010 06:53 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Last post date was months ago, but I'll try and revive it anyways.

My personal favourites are Puppy Linux and Kubuntu/Ubuntu.

Tip Posting | My Postings (253) | My Reviews (90) | View Source
Navi Mar 08, 2010 04:17 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Another ubuntu user here. Used exclusively on my desktop, but xp on the laptop (battery life under ubuntu isn't as good as xp, surprisingly. Even with a bunch of tweaks, powertop, etc)

And yes, my mom also has ubuntu on her pc (don't tell her though, I've skinned it so it looks almost exactly as xp :P )

Tip Posting | My Postings (565) | My Reviews (38) | View Source
Joseph_O Mar 20, 2010 05:09 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

OSX is BSD (berkley software) not GNU

Tip Posting | My Postings (1) | My Reviews (0) | View Source
Dante_ Xaiver™ Apr 01, 2011 10:23 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Ubuntu on the Desktop/ Server

Backtrack on the Laptop

Android on the phone

Tip Posting | My Postings (6729) | My Reviews (4) | View Source
{--M--} Apr 01, 2011 10:28 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

CentOS on my servers.

Mainly because they have a long support life cycle on releases. Constantly having to upgrade a server OS is just ridiculous.

Tip Posting | My Postings (9154) | My Reviews (15) | My Profile | View Source
Nicholas_L Apr 06, 2011 03:54 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

I've taken to liking FedoraIt's nice to have a testbed for software.

Tip Posting | My Postings (12) | My Reviews (5) | View Source
Calypso Apr 06, 2011 03:58 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Another vote for Ubuntu. It looks nice!

Tip Posting | My Postings (4526) | My Reviews (24) | View Source
Maso Apr 06, 2011 04:02 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

Either straight up Debian or Linux Mint here.

The biggest benefit of Mint is that it is Ubuntu-based, so there is a ton of software available for it as well as great support.

Of course, Ubuntu is Debian-based, so it's nice to go back to the Debian roots once-in-a-while.

Tip Posting | My Postings (61) | My Reviews (4) | View Source
Scott_K Feb 07, 2012 03:18 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Arch all the way.

Tip Posting | My Postings (46) | My Reviews (27) | View Source
Spaceball One Feb 07, 2012 07:23 AM Reply | Bookmark
Like (1) | Top | Bottom

Ubuntu with GNOME is the king baby!!! None of that new unity crap that the new version of Ubuntu has.

Mint is also an excellent choice for advanced users.

Tip Posting | My Postings (3413) | My Reviews (72) | View Source
Jason_B Jan 20, 2013 03:44 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

For mission critical dedicated servers and any site I build that requires max security because it's handling funds or is a giant target for competitors to attack (like a digital currency exchange site) I only use OpenBSD. You can virtualize the routing tables and use pf firewalls to properly isolate every machine from each other. You only have to remove a minimum amount of packages from the default install. You also don't have to worry about random x64 bugs popping up because whenever they release one on seclists the first reply is "OpenBSD fixed this years ago".

For low security like a wordpress site just serving up information, or for a test VPS to try out tools and deploy beta software I use debian. I ran debian as a desktop for years so am familiar with it's shortcomings and benefits. You have to strip down debian from the default install, then hope another debian dev doesn't comment out some random number generating code reducing entropy down to nearly nothing like what happened a few years ago, which is when I stopped using debian. You are also are at the mercy of Torvalds insanity kernel dev release cycle that is geared towards features and usability not security, so there's going to be exploitable bugs in the kernel you'll have to live with.

For a desktop I'm using OpenBSD multi tmux terminals because i'm a neckbeard who only requires command line email, irssi, lynx, a python shell and CLISP. Any X browser I need I spawn in another tmux window. I messed around with Gentoo for awhile after ditching debian, but you get tired of compiling absolutely everything when you need to upgrade otherwise Gentoo is great for a linux desktop if you like having total control and running a minamalist linux distro.

For crazy LISP development which is like almost everything I do now I use OpenBSD, and still have a debian install with older Ubuntu distro as host in a VM for Android development or tinkering around with MIT released experimental software. Seems to me like everybody is using Ubuntu 12.04 or OSX for development at corporations and universities as a bitter neckbeard I don't see how they can stand it.

This message was modified by the poster at 01 20, 2013 03:45 PM

Tip Posting | My Postings (6) | My Reviews (0) | View Source
Doug_the_Slug Jan 21, 2013 04:48 PM Reply | Bookmark
Like | Top | Bottom

thread res >.>

Tip Posting | My Postings (5802) | My Reviews (336) | View Source
PREV   |   NEXT   1 2  

Call Queue
Now Serving
Closed
Avg. Response Time
Closed
Request Call Back
(Web Orders Only)

Recent Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (54813)
2. Greg * NCIX.com (33173)
3. Saberon (15265)
4. Spork™ (13984)
5. joel f (576)
All Time Experts
1. Mr. Friendly™ (51387)
2. The Wizard (39824)
3. death_hawk™ (35144)
4. Not An Expert (26343)
5. Lance W (25246)

Your Order Company Info Memberships Services Hotlinks
Order Status
RMAs (Merchandise returns)
F.A.Q.
Contact Us / Store Locator
Careers
Terms & Conditions
Privacy Policy
NCIX Rewards
Premier Partner Reseller Program
VIP Memberships
Advantage Membership
Affiliate Program
Super Shipping Saver Club
Express Coverage
Express RMA
Express Shipping Service
Express Exchange and Care Coverage
Gift Cards & Balance Checker
Advanced Store Price Match
Black Friday Sale
Boxing Week Sale
NCIX Newsletters
NCIX Forums
Folding @ Home Team
The Banner Vault
International Sites:  Canada
Get the best discount computers online for online computer shopping and discount PC computer components as well as notebook computers, laptops and Canada custom computers for the best deals on computers.
NCIX.com provides Canada the best priced computers in the country for computer components and computer parts and computer accessories with the best online computer store in Canada for your personal and business computer needs.
At NCIX you can build your own computer online as well as search for the cheapest and best video cards, computer processors and CPUs, motherboards computer memory RAM, ssd and hard drives with the fastest shipping in Canada and the US.
So for discount computers online NCIX provides the cheapest digital cameras, printers, motherboards, flash memory, PC speakers and computer electronics with the best Canadian computer and Canadian online computer shopping website in the world.

NCIX.com is powered by Intel® Xeon® Quad Core Processors
Copyright© 2014 NCIX.com/Netlink Computer Inc. All rights reserved. S / Server ID:74 20141031234141  204 ms